Sunday, January 11, 2015

Discipline required to be a disciple

Yesterday I was listening to some sermons on my drive to clarkston by John MacArther. I had some thoughts along this line. To come and follow Jesus you are choosing to be a disciple. But to be a disciple you must have discipline in some specific area. It got me thinking about how discipline is a character trait and very counter-cultural. As I began to look introspectively... I don't see much discipline in my life and I can't honestly define myself as a disciplined person. So as I've considered this and prayed about it, I believe my word for this year is discipline and I'm going to choose to change how I identify myself by the grace of God. I know it's a big undertaking but I have an action plan. I'm going to study men and women who are characterized by discipline. I'm going to start in small things that feel possible like flossing regularly and reach toward training my body and mind progressing in fasting exercise and my studies over the course of this year and above all else pursue to be disciplined in spending regular time in the lap of my Father and seek to become disciplined in saying yes to what he asks of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment